Tuesday, January 17, 2006

One step forward, 2 steps backward

Thank you all so much for delurking. If I had any money, I would donate to somewhere, but right now we're tapped. Sorry. Thanks for the shout-out though.

The weekend went well. Imri took a bottle from John while I was out grocery shopping - with protest, but he took the full 3 oz and wanted more when I got home. We entered Monday with great hope.

Hope came and left when my cell phone rang at work around 10:30 am. Imri is inconsolable, crying and screaming, won't take a bottle even a little bit. I asked her to try for 10-15 more minutes - she did and called me back. Nada. I went to pick him up and he was so upset. It took me quite a while to settle him.

3 hours at work. Hey, it's one more than two hours.

Daycare is stressed about him and his "neediness". Her 9 week old eats and goes to sleep for 2-3 hours at a stretch. Imri has never done that - ever. She said "we will reassess on Friday"

Work isn't happy either and I can't blame them.

I really don't know what to do and have asked Moxie and the Internets for advice. Anyone??

One of the women from my Resolve bulletin board told me that her mom ran a daycare and she fully expected the first couple of weeks with a new baby to be rough, especially if the baby is the more sensitive type. She said that baby would need a lot more holding and a lot more help with the bottle, etc - that is was to be expected. I thought so too, but maybe it's just too much for Daycare to handle with her own infant being so young.

Shit. I think I'll be looking for a new daycare center soon. Shit.

Wish us luck tomorrow.

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

Sorry to hear daycare isn't going so well. This is still all very new to him and he's going to cry some, it's expected. It sounds like the daycare woman isn't giving him enough of a chance though like she's just impatient. I know I have kids every once in a while that cry when dropped off but usually it ends a few minutes after their parents leave. I've never called a parent to come pick up their child though because of crying.

If you can, I would continue at least 7-8 days in little 2 hr sessions (is there a relative that could come pick him up?) to keep easing him into it. If he still seems too upset and the woman is getting flustered you should find someone else perferably without any other small infants under a year. I say 7-8 days because one little boy I watch (he was 10 mths at the time)cried on and off all day for about 2 wks and his parents were worried it wasn't going to work but now when he shows up in the morning, instead of clinging to his dad he runs straight for this little kitchen set.

Hope things get better soon.

Anonymous said...

Kinneret,

I have read your past few posts about Imri and the daycare issues, I also read the stuff on Moxie's site.

It seems to me that the current daycare woman is really NOT the best option for your son. The impression I got is that she is not willing to try hard enough, and it's very likely that Imri can sense that too. Babies know when the person holding them is relaxed, or angry, or resentful. It affects them directly, and they react to it.

I have much experience with infants over the years, and have also taught 2 year olds for 8 years. Some things are the same, no matter what the age. Children need help adjusting, they need a caregiver who will be calm, and patient, and supportive. They know when you are faking it.

I hope you can sort this out in a way that works for you and Imri.

B'Hatzlacha

Anonymous said...

Kin,

I don't know if she's done this before, but I do know that when *I* had a 9 week old there was no way in heck I could have possibly dealt with more than one infant, esp. if there were any issues, feeding or otherwise. Of course hers is going to do so much better, he's with his mother.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. It's like anything else though, once you find your best match DC provider you will say "oh my goodness, thank GOD that other one didn't work out because I LOVE this one so much!"

Hugs,
Lisa