Sunday, January 22, 2006

Oh yeah, it gets better:

I got to work on Friday and my boss told me that I either work my full shifts as scheduled or I have no job. I stared at her. And reminded her that I have only been back a week (4 scheduled days) and she basically told me "too bad".

Nursing and medicine. The caring professions. Yeah.

The moment I have residency paperwork in my hot little hands I am finding another job. Any company that has such little compassion for an obviously struggling and overwhelmed new mom can go fuck themselves. That's assuming I still work for them when that occurs.

So, I may have no job shortly as I currently have no daycare. The woman I was using looked "surprised" when I stopped in to pick up Imri's stuff on Friday. I told her that she was unkind to leave me without notice and she then said that I was welcome to use her for this next week. As if. No thanks.

Two friends; one from work and another - a sweet woman who I met via the Resolve bulletin boards -are watching Imri Monday and Wednesday respectively. I am so very very VERY thankful and grateful to them both. I just hope it goes well, because if it doesn't, I have no job.

On Friday, John will stay home with Imri and watch him. That is if I still have a job.

I called my mother yesterday in complete crying hysterics and I actually heard the words "mommy, please come" leave my lips. No joke. I haven't called her "mommy" in over 20 years. That's how stressed out I am. She would love to come but my dad isn't doing so well. I know it hurts her that she can't come - she drives me crazy but sometimes you need your mommy. Kind of like Imri does now.

My parents have offered to help a little with my visa paperwork (they are on fixed income and don't have much cash at all)and want me to hire a lawyer. I think it's a fine idea, I just need to find one. Anyone out there an immigration lawyer or know one?

I checked a daycare center out on Friday afternoon - I hate seeing kids lying in cribs with nothing to do. I don't want that for my baby, especially not for Imri who has made it clear that he needs attention. And they told me they wouldn't call me if he cried a lot - which worries me. I mean, I know he's going to cry. I just don't want him crying so hard that he works himself into a sweat. Is this unreasonable of me? I don't know anymore. I just don't want him that upset for hours on end.

So, I am going to check out a bunch more on Tuesday. One other may know if they have an opening tomorrow, I need to call. Oh, and did I mention the phone call with the daycare provider who told me in her raspy cigarette-hoarse voice that she loved babies because "they don't talk"?

Yeah.

I won't be using her.

On the good news front - Imri's jumparoo came (another Ebay conquest). He's in love.

Hey, I'll take small victories these days.

16 comments:

Foxxy One said...

~kicking myself in the head~ UGH - Why didn't I think of this before??

Call Jewish Federation in your area and ask them if they still have day care centers. They did when I was a kid and, in this area, they still do. They are wonderful! For infants, they used to have home care people. Instead of dropping your baby off at a day care center, you would drop off at someone's home who was certified in day care. That's what we did when my sister was 6 weeks old and my Mom loved it. They took amazing care of her and she was comfortable in the home setting.

I know this will work out for you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry, K. That just sucks. Your employer's attitude is especially atrocious.

I don't do any work on this end of immigration law, but I'm sure you can find good, qualified people to help you out.

Best of luck sorting this out. If it's any consolation, he's a lovely little boy.

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I'm hoping with all of my heart that things work out for you. I'm so very sorry that your life is so tough right now, and I'm sitting here, 300 miles away, wishing I had a solution for a complete stranger. All I can do is send hugs and good wishes, so consider both sent.

Sabrina said...

I'm really sorry about your boss. Family is a lot higher on the totem pole then a job, it's too bad that she can't see it that way. I'm sure with the references you'll find someone compassionate to take care of Imri soon. Ask lots of questions about their house/center and activities for the kids, etc. Hope things work out soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am not an inmigration lawyer but my husband and I handled the process of me becoming a permanent resident ourselves. So I have an idea of the things you need to do. Is there a particular reason you think you need a lwayer? Is your case complicated in some way. In my particular case I became a resident through a family member, my husband a US Citizen (Form I-130). While I was in the process of becoming a Resident I applied for an Employment Authorization (Form I-765) which is just as good as a green card and that was given to me almost inmediately. So, you don't have to wait for your green card to be given the flexibility it provides to look for another job.
All we paid where the fees the USCIS imposes and no lawyer fee and honestly it was not complicated at all. but again, our case was very straight forward. I was a foreign married to a US Citizen. What is your situation?
I would be happy to meial with you about this.
My email is mgarcia@honduras.com

I am glad you have things figured out for Imri this week. I do hope you are able to find suitable care for him soon.

Good luck!

Dramalish said...

Oh Sara,
I've felt so bad for you since the whole beginning of this Daycare Drama.

And now my own will be upon me in a matter of months. It's terrifying and horrible to think that we're forced into this situation.

It just stinks.
So big hugs coming from me, and a big hope that we can work through this crap and find a way to give our babies the best we can.
-D.

Anonymous said...

Waiting with best wishes, good thoughts, and bated breath...
Beth

Yvette said...

I am so sorry K for what is happening to you. The nursing profession is simply not set up for mothering. I have to work 12 hour shifts for the income and can't find a provider that is open that long. I am thankful for my mother-in-law who has watched Bella since she was 2 months old and I had to return to work. However, now that Bella is more active I have to reevaluate. MIL suffers from end stage COPD and has at this time 16% lung function. She has decided against a lung transplant. FIL helps by watching Bella (taking her outside and stuff) but he is having chest pain regularly and was just told that his triple bypass from > 10 years ago needs to be redone but he isn't strong enough for the surgery. So whats a Mom to do? I commute 1 1/2 hours one way to work so I am gone 16 hours a day on the days I work. My husband is expected to work 7 days 10 hours a day or he loses his job. I am beginning to agree with you re: America and their maternity policy. Is it any wonder that our children are growing up and getting into drugs, alcohol, killing each other in gangs, etc. Anyway I am so sorry for your situation and frustrated with my own. I wish there was something more I could do for you besides just give you a cyber hug and let you know I care. I will be thinking of you and your beautiful Imri. Keep your chin up and keep your faith in yourself and know that you are a good mother. Love to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Hey, how did it go this week? Did Imri do well with your friends? I know this must have been a really hard week hope you are doing well.

Anonymous said...

Hey, how did it go this week? Did Imri do well with your friends? I know this must have been a really hard week hope you are doing well.

K|nneret said...

testing testing ...

Anonymous said...

i hope your week went well. i've been refreshing often to see if you've posted.

-beaver girl

Anonymous said...

I think something happened to your comments because I try to do one and it said that it needed your approval first?

Have you not been getting any comments? I offered some help regarding immigration issues.

K|nneret said...

Hey, for some reason it went to "moderated comments". Not sure why!

I don't know who you are, anon ... but all help with immigration is appreciated :)

My email is kinneretb@gmail.com

Liz Miller said...

Oy. I hope everything is getting better.

I wish you lived near me so that you could send Imri to the daycare my son goes to. Alas, I'm in NoVa and you're in MD.

Anonymous said...

I keep checking in, too--with best wishes, high hopes. and bated breath.