Tuesday, August 23, 2005

My first day as a gestational diabetes patient

The diabetic educator was over here on Sunday. Who would've thought that they'd send someone on a Sunday here in church-land? I was pleased. She did her best to explain everything but it's still rather overwhelming.

I don't mind the portioning so much as I do the lack of freedom to eat when I want. I graze pretty frequently ... nix that, I used to graze and nibble a lot - now I can't do that until I've checked my sugar - and I'm checking my sugar two hours after every meal. Oh and when I wake up I check my pee for ketones and check a fasting blood sugar. In short, I'm a pincushion. The non-grazing, hungry type.

For those who are following along at home, here's the schedule:
Wake up at Omygodit'searly and dip urine. Shake head at the ketones that appear there. Check fasting blood sugar while bleary-eyed and try not to miss the test strip. Eat "breakfast" which is now limited to only one carb selection, so no milk(carb) and cereal(carb) but half an English muffin with some Canadian bacon and cheddar cheese. Have coffee and put milk and a touch of sugar in it anyway. Go to the bathroom again. Fill up 32 oz water bottle for the trip to work.

Get to work. Go to the bathroom. Check sugar 2 hours after breakfast. Shake head how it's just slightly above the cutoff of 120, at 123. Figure that someone must have added sugar to the cheddar cheese. Drink water. Go to the bathroom again. Call diabetic center and enter readings on computerized system.

Get call back from an RN to discuss my ketones and elevated sugars in an attempt to regulate me better. She wants me to eat a snack before bed. I explain that I work till 6, don't get home till close to 7 and therefore don't eat till around 8 and that staying up till 10 to check my sugar is all I can do in my current state. She hmmms understandingly and advises a snack anyway, or maybe an extra snack in the afternoon. She says no milk and sugar in my coffee. She also tells me to drink lots of water. I stifle my reply.

Eat snack 3 hours after breakfast. This is not easy in a busy nursing area, but my manager has actually been great about it. Of course, the snack is 6 (low sodium)Triscuits (not five. Nor seven. SIX)and 1 oz of cheddar cheese so it doesn't take long. I can hear my arteries groaning. Drink more water. Another bathroom break.

Call husbandly one to inform him that I need to eat dinner earlier. Advise him what is ready for cooking and if he can oblige. He says he will.

Go to the bathroom. Eat lunch around 3 hours after snack. A nice healthy salad with protein - something I normally eat anyway - and a piece of fruit. The Propel water I bought the teenager and of which I snagged one to try is DISGUSTING. So much for that idea. Drink water instead. Go to the bathroom again. Fill up water bottle.

Another bathroom visit. This is getting old. Check sugar two hours after lunch. It's ... 96!!!! YES!!! The crowd goes wild and tells me to drink more water.

Another snack. This time it's my much loved cereal and 1% milk. Nature's Path Honey'd Raisin Bran, folks. I'll drive miles just to find it. You heard it here. Besides, I need the fiber. No need for bathroom just yet.

Go to the bathroom and then drive home. Grumble hungrily about the lack of fruit in my diet. Drink water. Wonder if my bladder will last the drive and thank the gods for the lack of traffic on 270 (for once).

Arrive home. No dinner is being cooked. Try to rush to bathroom and am interrupted mid-flight by Husbandly one who immediately enters kitchen upon my arrival with claim of "I'll cook dinner". I tell him it's not necessary as I'm here NOW ... the issue is eating dinner EARLIER. I tell him in caps, so he gets it. He insists guiltily on doing it anyway. I end up chopping the broccoli anyway as he protests he is unsure what to do. For a man who can figure out woodworking on his own, he sure is helpless. Leave him in kitchen so I can visit the bathroom. Finally.

Eat dinner at 7:30. Jr's friend is eating with us. Jr's chores are not done. I say nothing much. I eat too much protein but am very careful with the carbs. I fill up on veggies, which is fine, I love em. Drink more water. Eat two plums for dessert with the realization that I can!! Wooohoooo!!!! Fruit!!! We watch the Cowboys and Seahawks as I drink my water.

An hour later eat a half popsicle as Diabetic Educator has said anything 10grams of carb or under is a free food. Go to the bathroom. An hour after that, my sugar is 171. OOps. I stare at the watermelon in the refrigerator lovingly.

Call the diabetes hotline. She tells me to drink more water and still eat my evening snack. I dispatch my triscuits and cheese with gusto and drink more water. Go to the bathroom several more times between then and sleep time.

Sleep through the night without ONE bathroom break. I am amazed at that realization when I awake far too early on my day off. Pee. I have ketones again. Go back to sleep.

Wake two hours later and pee again. Ketones, same amount. Check my blood sugar ... it's 96!! Woohoooo!! Go downstairs and fix the other half of the English muffin with Canadian bacon and cheddar. Pour coffee and add a 1/2 tsp of sugar and a dollop of milk.

Realize the teenager has still not done his chores. Shrug and write this.

7 comments:

Chee Chee said...

That sounds like you've got quite a routine there!

Take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

It's very hard, I know. But hopefully the rest of your pg'cy will go fast.

"Sleep through the night without ONE bathroom break"????? During pregnancy? UNHEARD OF! ABSURD! (do you know that reference?)

score ONE for Kinneret for a full night's sleep!!!! It's not something to get used to, unfortunately.

HUGS
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Wow, and I thought controlling GD by diet would be easy. Take care of yourself and hopefully these last few weeks will fly by...

Pr. Joy Blaylock said...

Dear God! I would be floating and stark raving mad with all the water and check-ins. Big sympathy over here. I hope it gets easier...

Anonymous said...

Dear lord woman is that the best they could do for you for food??? Check it out, adjust the diet and make it work. Take it from me, if the control by food doesn't work you will soon find yourself armed with needles and shots to give yourself in the thigh in addition to poking your fingers!! I have the scars on my thighs and fingertips to prove it!! Take care honey, it gets better. After all His Highnesses health is more important than a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in your coffee right? Just keep telling yourself that!
hugs and kisses darlin
maggie~

Anonymous said...

My God.

I don't even know what to say, other than I hope it gets better for you. That sucks.

Cricket said...

Hi,
Sailed in here somehow and pretty much read your whole blog this evening. Thanks for sharing. It has been wonderful to read your success, even tho you probably don't feel all that successful with your new diagnosis. Sorry.

[I just got reamed with a hypothyroid diagnosis myself, so I am hoping that has been the source of my SIF. Then again, I just turned 43. I have a future stepdaughter, aged 15. I understand step stuff, oh, do I understand. I live relatively close to you, too. No, definitely not trying to set up the Juniors - I wouldn't wish her on anyone.]

When I was tested for GD 8 yrs ago, my midwife wasn't so strict on the 4 hour test interpretation, saying I had to fail more than 2 of the 4 readings to officially fail. I failed 2 and didn't volunteer anything further. Luckily, I never spilled. Your background is ideally suited for great self-care, except to say that work is really feeling like work nowdays. Best of luck. With my son, I had the big goal of 24 weeks, was so relieved, then finally felt like I could look to 40.