Friday, August 12, 2005

Guess who failed her one hour GD test?

Yours truly.

The cutoff was 139. I scored 149. The RN at the doctor's office asked me if I had been fasting and I told her that I had been. She said "oh, you weren't supposed to". To which I replied "it would have been helpful if someone told me that beforehand".

She apologized but the lab slips for the 3 hour test are on their way. Oy.

So, if I fail that ... no sugar/carbs. And no salt, because of my swelling. I think that leaves me with celery, a piece of chicken and some Mrs Dash.

I am readying myself for the inevitable. I understand I am supposed to load up on carbs for two-three days prior to my test (which will be Tuesday). Last night I had the last of the NY Super Fudge Chunk. This morning I am having a Montreal bagel (my apologies to those who have never experienced that particular glory). I will be buying a large watermelon this weekend and much summer fruit. May it never be said I wouldn't give my body for science.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kin-- a lot of people fail the 1 hr and pass the 3 hr. FWIW, I would not load on carbs or anything else on the days preceding the test. I've never heard that, I think you should just eat normally before the fast. What good can you do carb-loading other than throw off the test?

Try not to worry too much, most of the girls I know who failed 1 hr passed 3 hr, ask the MSers.

Love
Lisa

Foxxy One said...

Yikes! Good luck!

Dramalish said...

I hope the not fasting thing will fix the problem and you will pass the test with flying colors. You came SO CLOSE this first time!
I read all the foods you listed with sad eyes. I remember when *I* liked and enjoyed food. Sigh.
Good luck girl, and hang in there.
-D.

Chee Chee said...

Good luck with the next round of tests. I hope the carbs do the trick.

I will be returning to the Grove soon. I'll give you a ring to catch up in the next few days.

Pr. Joy Blaylock said...

Ha, I like your approach. I made sure to down a big piece of birthday cake at my niece's party yesterday well in advance of receiving my results of the GTT on Monday/tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

And raw mushrooms darlin, there is always an upside!
maggie~