Saturday, August 27, 2005

Not so impressed

So maybe I'm paranoid - shut up, I can hear you snickering at the "maybe" - but shouldn't a doctor seeing a relatively high-risk patient have the WHOLE chart in front of her on an OB visit?

Let me back up just a tad and say that I saw one of the OBs in the practice on Thursday morning, one I hadn't met before. She seemed fairly competent - it was hard to say because of the following:

1) When I mentioned my blood sugars to her, she said "Oh, do you have gestational diabetes? It's not in your chart."
2) When she asked me about contractions and problems and I answered "not since my visit to the hospital with PTL" she said - Oh, that's not in your chart"
3) She then asked me if I had ever had my amniocentesis results (!!!) and when I answered in the affirmative, she asked me what I was having - it wasn't in the chart.

She measured me and said I was bang on 30-31 weeks, so she saw no need for an ultrasound. I told her that I indeed wanted an ultrasound to see the size of the baby - "well" she said, "I guess we could do that in two weeks time on your next visit. We could code it for GD ... and I guess we could use AMA too (advanced maternal age)". I didn't tell her that I didn't give a shit how she coded it - I want to know how big this boy is and I have that right considering I have a GD diagnosis. She then told me she couldn't really tell which way the baby was lying from doing Leopold maneuvers. Hmmm. While His Highness is indeed a squirmy worm and I am sure from moment to moment that his toes are alternately in my cootch and then my ribs, I thought an experienced OB would be ...well ... more capable.

All in all, I wasn't very happy when I left - I did get scheduled for an ultrasound during my next visit in 2 weeks and I will be going to the Rockville office again, a 40 minute drive from here. *sigh*.

And that, I think, is the root of the problem. Because they are so short-staffed (2 OBs have left recently because of malpractice insurance costs) I can't get scheduled in the Frederick office - so they keep shunting me and my chart from office to office. But that still doesn't justify the pathetic lack of charting or the omissions thereof.

I called the office manager the next day and politely told her that what I had encountered the previous day was unacceptable. I was very nice (I hear you snickering again) but I told her in no uncertain terms that as a high-risk patient coming to their practice, I was perturbed at the lack of continuity of care and appropriate charting, and while I understood their staff issues, etc., this was unacceptable.

She completely agreed with me, which was good - she also told me that they are soon switching to electronic charting which would eliminate the problem. She will "definitely look into this". I left it there but I'll tell you, I'm not feeling the love. And this late in the game, it doesn't inspire me with confidence. I'm just not sure where I go from here.

Updated to add Just had my visit from the home healthcare RN who let me listen to the baby's heartbeat. I am in a very mellow mood now. Oh, and we're going to my mother-in-law's for what my husband stammeringly called "dinner". I'm thinking "baby shower". How exciting!!!

4 comments:

Liz Miller said...

Very exciting re: "Dddddinner."

Next time you're at the OB's ask for a copy of your chart and start carrying it with you to all subsequent appointments. Also, shouldn't you be starting weekly appointments soon?

Pr. Joy Blaylock said...

Yay, a possible surprise shower. That is cool. I hope, if there is one, that you have a grea time.

Sorry to hear about the crappy care. I haven't been thrilled with my "high risk" care either. Last time I went in for the scheduled ultrasound, the nurse asked "what's this for?" Uhhh, well, how about a growth scan and anything else I can squeeze out of you folks!

I think I will feel better when the wee one is really here and I can check him out for myself. Until then, we'll have to keep dealing with these morons.

Good Luck,
Joy

suzinalexa said...

A baby shower! How cool! Photos?

You so did the right thing about that charting issue. And 31 weeks already? Is it me or did time fly?

Anonymous said...

Seems the docs only glance at the top (summary) page anyway, from my experience. It's a shame. We really have to stay on top of our own cases unfortunately. I feel sorry for the people that don't have the ability to do that, because they are pretty much screwed. :(

Can't wait to hear all about the shower!!!! I want to hear about everything you received!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Lisa

PS E is walking!