The ongoing saga of an unclassifiably fertile infertile forty-something and her family.
Friday, May 20, 2005
Amniocentesis Day
It went well. I mean, it's not high on my list of "fun things to do at the doctor's office" but it didn't hurt - more like weird pressure and a pinch. Not like HSG pain/discomfort which is more like "come here and let me punch you".
Dr High Risk was great and totally reassuring, talked to me the entire time (the actual needle stick took about 1 minute). Nothing to be afraid of, although I couldn't watch. I just took deep breaths and broke John's hand, poor man - mostly out of nerves.
Seeing the baby on ultrasound was well worth it all. The baby is measuring 17 weeks and 3 days ...a week ahead, that over-achiever. I figure it's due to plentiful maternal intake. Ahem.
But, my life is never easy. Right now I am waiting to find out what we're doing about a possible Rhogam injection. It seems that there's some question as to whether I'm O negative or not.
Let me 'splain.
Way back in the 90's, I had an ectopic pregnancy. After emergency surgery, an RN came into my room and informed me that they were adding me to the negative blood bank. I was rather surprised and told her they had it wrong, I was O+. I had been in the military, etc ... always been classified as O+. We argued back and forth and finally decided the best thing to do was do another blood sample. O-. No ifs ands or buts.
Since then, I've always told people I'm O-. I have something called a weak D, a mixture of rhesus (the - or + part), so I have both. Here's a link about weak D if you're into reading it. It gave me a bit of a headache.
When I miscarried in December, I was treated with Rhogam during my D&C. However, recent bloodwork has shown me to be Rh+ with no antibodies, so said the ultrasound tech as she prepped me for the procedure. After going back and forth, after the emotional highlights of the procedure, I was so verklempt that I forgot to remind them about the Rhogam. I remembered while eating breakfast with hubby at the Double T Diner. I called, panicked.
Dr High Risk (via his RN) said that because a recent blood test showed me as O + with no antibodies, he can't treat me for Rh disease. Which makes sense. He also recommended that I call my OB and sort it out with them, perhaps they had documentation which showed something different, perhaps they would send me to the hospital for stat blood testing. I did and am waiting for a call back from their doctor, who isn't in the nearby office today. Now those of you who've been following at home know that the only reason Dr Delivery's office thinks I'm O- is because I told Dr Shitty so. They had me listed as O+.
In the meantime - if you're still reading AND following - I called Dr Baby's office and spoke with my old RN there who checked my chart to see what documentation they had to support giving me Rhogam after the D&C. It seems that they didn't, they did it prophylactically based on my telling them I was Rh-.
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
So, I'm waiting. John is snoozing on the couch. I'm on shpilkes, to put it mildly. I may have to go ahead and play some Diablo.
Oh, and we found out the baby's gender. Heh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I read that whole thing (willingly of course) and you're *not* sharing the gender?!
Kinneret -- I am really glad that the amnio went well. Also that you are taking good care of yourself and the baby. I know that you will share the gender with us soon, right?!?!? You're not just gonna leave us here in suspense, are you?!?!
BTW -- as you know I am not Jewish but my mom's OB was, when she had me. Now I better understand her Dr's warnings against buying a crib for me before she and my dad brought me home. I think it's wonderful to be mindful of cultural traditions and the larger societal impact of our actions.
Stay well!
J
BTW -- that last "anonymous" post is from me.
Okay, Missy.
That's just mean.
I read that entire O+/O- thing, and I want satisfaction!
Plus, you know I'm living my fantasies out through you. If you're really not going to share... I *understand,* but I say that through clenched teeth.
And I'm very very glad things went well at the amnio. All good things are on their way.
-D.
Post a Comment