Wednesday, March 30, 2005

In which I discover that yes, I may actually be pregnant for real


First OB appointment was today. It was hard to manage as if it was just another day - I was nervous and miserable and lay in bed reading for most of it. I tried to focus on everything but the appointment and failed. It was nerve-wracking.

John came home and off we went and after filling out much paperwork, we still had to wait over an hour to see the doc. But we finally did get in and he is a gem. A really nice guy who took his time explaining everything, particularly about screening. And for now, we've decided on a nuchal translucency in 2 weeks and then amnio, if necessary. I'm also going to be screened for pretty much everything else under the sun, including Tay Sachs, etc. Dr Delivery is very into screening, and while he did push the CVS a bit, the miscarriage rate is rather high, 1:100, higher than the amnio rate which he quoted at 1:300 to 1:600. That's a lot less than what I've read, but this guy has been in the biz for a long time. I doubt he's going to mislead us for no good reason. Ah, I'm such a trusting soul.

And then we went into the sonogram room. My cell phone rang just as I was changing - my dear friend Stacy who said "not that I'm freaking or anything!". I told her about the late start of the appointment and promised to call her back with any and all news. Babe- you KNOW I would have called you as soon as I got out. Oh ye of little faith!

John held my hand as Dr Delivery first did a breast exam (arghhhhackowwwwwwwwwwww) and then the pap, etc. Yes, he tormented me and made me wait till near the end for the cooter-cam. As he examined me, he said "everything feels right, excellent" and then he grabbed the wand himself and off we went ... and there it was. Way bigger then last time, way more developed. I started to panic because I couldn't see the heartbeat and choked out "is there a heartbeat?" in a strangled voice, to which he replied heartily "Oh yes! There it is ... 178bpm! Very very good!" ... and there it was, ticking away mightily. "and there are the arm and leg buds!" he pointed out. At this point I was sobbing and could barely see a thing anyway. John's hand squeezed mine tightly.

And yes, here it is ... and you can definitely see the limb buds and the difference from the previous one at 6.4 weeks. CRL was 25mm or so. Our baby is growing ... and is right on track. OMG. I think I may actually be pregnant for real this time. Really truly.


9 weeks and 3 days, right on target.

9 comments:

Ana said...

Sounds like a great appointment and I love the picture! I'll have the nuchal translucency test in 3 weeks too and then hopefully we will both breathe even better!!

Anonymous said...

Sarah!!!!! This makes me so very happy! What a great sono pic! You're doing good MAMA!

Anonymous said...

S/he is beautiful, Kinneret! Congrats.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news! Nice buds and great hb - Congrats!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I am so so so happy for you!! I sobbed when I read this post!! CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS.

~*angela*~

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Great pic.

Anonymous said...

What a cool picture!

Congrats on the great appointment.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... she/he looks just like you, my dear. I had the nuchal fold scan done on my son. The great thing about that test is no needles! Yay!

orchidea

K|nneret said...

Thank each and every one of you SO much for your warm thoughts and support. I am actually starting to believe now ... maybe a little, that this is actually for real and that it may be happening.
Again, thank you from my heart.