Saturday, April 02, 2005

What's that old Carly Simon song ...?


...Constipation. Cooooooonnnstipaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaationnnn ...
There's the single reason I haven't given up (all)of my coffee intake.

Oh wait. I think that may have been the Jr High version of her song. Works for me.

I've learned the hard way (ha ha) that if I don't drink one cup of coffee per day, I am completely miserable. It seems like a small thing to bear in order to be able to go ... and all the research I've read says that 1-2 cups of coffee a day aren't a bad thing. So I'm forging ahead with the coffee drinking because - well, I just feel so much better.

I won't really mention the terrible gas. Let it suffice to say that the other day, John told me that when he had come to bed the previous night and lifted the covers, he nearly passed out. He then said excitedly "hey, now you know what it's like to be a guy!". Oy.

During the OB visit, Dr Delivery told me that he considered me high risk. Not just because of my age - I have a few other fun risk factors it seems. Ah well. Then he offered me a choice of himself doing the nuchal translucency, or sending me to a perinatologist for it. Now I really did want to see a peri, but I didn't want to insult the man. Yeah, I'm a nurse but those authority figures still have a grip on me. Luckily, my schedule just doesn't work with his availability, so I ended up having to set up an appointment with a peri this April 18th.

When I called, they also advised me that I would have a genetic counseling session prior to the appointment and that I would need a full bladder for the screening. I must have sounded hesitant because she reassured me that I'd be able to fill up during the counseling appointment. Whew! I can just imagine ... sitting through an hour long counseling session with a full bladder. Uh-huh.

The difference between a nuchal translucency test and an amniocentesis is that one is a screening test and the other is diagnostic. In other words, the former will give you the odds of you having a certain disorder, while the later will give you a factual yes/no answer. While a nuchal will give us a pretty good idea if there is something wrong, I'm pretty sure we'll go ahead with the amnio anyway. Thoughts, concerns and other info is appreciated, if anyone has experience and wants to comment. I'd love all input on this.

I realize it's a very personal choice. I will be honest and forthcoming - if the baby I am allegedly carrying has some form of either a fatal or disabling genetic disorder, it is most likely that we would choose to terminate. We have talked about this at great length and examined the pros and cons and it is the right choice for us. I hope that this is never something we have to deal with, but considering my age, it is a possibility and we are as prepared for it as anyone can be, I believe.

Hence, all input on screening, diagnostics and testing is appreciated. You're welcome to voice your own perspective on this, but please play nice. I am very pro-choice and I respect other's views, please do the same.

Ah, such a downer on a rainy Saturday morning. The nice thing is that we should have that first round of testing out of the way and done by the time we leave to Canada for Passover. If everything is well, we will be announcing to the family, as I'll be out of my first trimester by then. Nothing to see here! Keep moving ... and time for my second cup of coffee.

5 comments:

Dramalish said...

Dearest Sara,
You crack me up to the infinity:

"...the baby I'm ALLEGEDLY carrying..."

You ARE carrying a baby!!!! I've seen pictures. :)

I hope all goes wonderfully at the peri appt. Say a quiet little prayer for me this week? My 2nd IUI will happen sometime around Friday.

AND:
I really really am going to email you about a few format things for my blog.. how to do links, etc. I really really will.

*hugs*
-Donnie

Anonymous said...

I had an amnio a couple of weeks after the nuchal fold scan. I didn't regret it. The risk of complications is extremely small (I was told to take it easy for 24 hours post procedure), the whole procedure was very well monitored and, despite my fear of needles, I managed to resist the urge to run away (hubby held my hand, which was an enormous help). It wasn't exactly pleasant, but it didn't hurt either. They gave me a preliminary 99% result within 48 hours (that was five years ago). If you are *really* sure you want to know what's what, that's the test to have.

orchidea

Anonymous said...

Awwwww.........the very best of everything for you and your lovely family.

Anonymous said...

Testing is such a personal decision --- much like parenting, you have go through your own route rather than rely on someone else's opinions. I hope the tests go well for you and that the numbers are good. Best of luck!

Ana said...

I'm sure everything will be just fine with the baby your are "allegedly" carrying LOL
I'll be thinking of you!