Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Another sign of the apocalypse


I guess I'm officially a bad pregnant person. I didn't take my prenatal vitamin last night.
My stomach has been so damned queasy that I decided to forego the pleasure and I do feel slightly better today. It's really been quite something, the all-day sickness thing. Last pregnancy I switched prenates to something less hard on the stomach and it helped. However, I am currently on that same pill that I was switched to. So finding something else ... well, I suppose it's possible. Just not probable.

It's not that I feel like hurling - it's just persistent nausea and a general feeling of grossness. And sadly, the only thing that helps is eating. Once I'm done eating, it usually returns quickly. What the FUCK is that about and how do I unsubscribe from it?
I really don't need to gain enormous amounts of weight. I wasn't tiny to begin with.

And the constipation/diarrhea thing? And the belching/flatulence thing? John just keeps laughing at his dainty and ladylike wife. Right.

At work I was told not to worry (HAH!)about my symptoms, that they're normal and to chill out. They don't get that I'm not worried, I'm just miserable.

The thing is, I'm not exactly the shy and retiring kind. When I walked into work yesterday and was quiet and withdrawn, it alarmed people. Yes, my charge nurse actually came to me and asked if anything bad had happened, which was sweet (I didn't talk much for a few weeks after my miscarriage - always a sign that something is wrong with a chatterbox).

One neat thing I've noticed, now that I'm past (!!!!!) the 8 week mark is that I can feel a sort of protruberance around my pubis. IOW, if I lay my hand gently against the area below my belly button (while adjusting the fat roll there)and press gently, I can feel something hard yet soft, something different. It's pretty wild and it makes me smile.

However, on the "oh no, this could be bad" front, a true sign of the Apocalypse has arisen; Every single nurse at work agreed that the government messed up and should have stayed the hell out of the Terry Schiavo case. My friends, when a goodly number of nurses agree on ANY one concept, you know that screetching sound you heard earlier was the world grinding to a rapid halt.

So, if you wake up tomorrow and the lion and the lamb are lying down together, you find your friends speaking in tongues and your freezer is suddenly stocked with Haagen Daaz*, you'll know. The end is nigh. Turn on CNN and watch our demise.



* freezers being stocked with premium ice cream has to be a sign of the world's end. How else could we enjoy the show? There has to be SOME sort of reward for dealing with doomsday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm - you do sound extremely preggers to me, and yes, there's nothing much to counteract that lowgrade, pervasive nausea other than eating. That'll give you a 15 minute respite. I had the same problem in both pregnancies, in the second I also had a problem with ptyalism. Yuck.

Try sleeping?!

orchidea

K|nneret said...

Ack. Gee, thanks for the cheer-up :)
I'm just hoping this ends soon. *smooches*

Yvette said...

Where have you been lately? Now that you have gotten me hooked on your blog I worry about you! :) I know that as a pregnant nurse you are probabley exhausted all the time and the last thing on your mind is updating but I have had 5 days off in a row and little to do between laundry and caring for the babe. Tommorrow I go back to work for 3 12 hour shifts in a row. ick ick But I will continue to check in with you. There are two other nurses at work that are pregnant and so I sympathize with them, on their feet and all. I would have milked my pregnancy if I had only known I was pregnant. When I went in for my post-op appt and looked at all the varying stages of pregnant women, I felt a bit sad. I missed all that. But I also missed all the bad stuff. I didn't know what was happening to me. I just thought I was getting old. Silly me. Today when I woke up, baby Bella, had been exchanged for a longer, more mature baby. It is strange how she changes overnignt. Enjoy every moment of your experience. It is the most amazing, beautiful thing that will ever happen to you.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Sleep all that you can. You don't get much towards the end and when the babe arrives, none at all.
Take care