Monday, September 24, 2007

From the trenches

Carmel is sick. Imri brought home a cold from daycare and it migrated, of course. She's not that bad, just a stuffy/runny nose and a tiny cough that would be cute if it didn't signify illness.
No fever ... just a virus, more than likely. I'm really hoping that it passes quickly for her and for her brother, so that when I get it, I won't have to worry about the kiddos.

She is also terribly gassy. I'm really hoping this phase passes quickly because the need for sleep is killing me.

Imri has a runny nose and a cough too. Oh, and a huge chip on his shoulder. It seems to be much harder for him over the weekends, when what was his "mommy and daddy time" has now been partially usurped by a crying stranger. He has a myriad of ways of showing his displeasure with the stranger, including throwing things in her general direction (the phone, an empty cup, etc), running his trucks into her car seat as she naps within, etc. We've tried positive reinforcement for good behaviour, time-outs, one-on-one time, etc. Nothing seems to work for any long-term period of time, especially when he realizes that the stranger is still here when all is said and done.

It ain't easy being nearly two.

Or being the parents of said child ... I've lost my temper a couple of times - not good. No, I'm not a perfect parent. I'm sleep deprived and moody and having trouble with the person who was previously my sun-shiny child. I lose it sometimes, and yell. And it upsets me - and it upsets Imri, obviously. Calling it "human" is true but it doesn't help me parent my beloved boy any better.

Thoughts?


3 comments:

Kathryn said...

I have no comments only that I am sure that you are doing all that you can do and that sooner or later he'll figure out that she is here to stay and fall in love with his baby sister.

We all loose our tempers, I do it weekly if not daily. It's called being a human being. I try to breath and take a time out but still it happens!

I'm sorry that the little ones are sick, I hope it passes soon!

Hugs,
Kat

Anonymous said...

I hope they both feel better quickly.

Like Kathryn said, we all loose our tempers. There are times I have yelled at my daughter and regretted it for the whole day. I just keep telling myself that I'm human and sometimes things happen.

Keep up the good work Mommy!

Anonymous said...

I guess I'd say to just remember that, since Imri is almost 2, he was going to have attitude anyway, baby sister or not. My kids started at about 21 months and tapered off at about 27 months. One thing I noticed is that more articulate toddlers, able to express themselves with words, tend to have an easier time handling frustration. But are they still ornery at times? Oh, yeah.