I decided to head upstairs as the baby was relatively quiet, with the faint hope of stealing a little early evening sleep. John decided to take Imri upstairs and get him ready for bed, too. We all trooped upstairs and I started to change Carmel on our bed.
John has Imri on the changing table and calls out to me "Is someone knocking?" I didn't hear anything and told him as much. A few seconds later, I do hear a knock but I'm mid-swipe with the diaper kit and ignore it. Then John calls out "Do you want to get the door?" just as the knocking gets very insistent. And loud. I can't help but wonder WTF is knocking on our door at 7:30pm and why in the world J would think that I could get the door, when I'm changing the tuchas of a newborn ...
The knocking becomes kind of pounding and J grabs Imri and heads downstairs. I hear male voices speaking but can't make out what is being said but it sounds official. Carmel is now changed and I head downstairs, worried.
There stand two of Maryland's finest in our doorway. "Is everything ok here, Ma'am?" the one queries and I look at him blankly and answer that yes, everything is fine ?? "There was a 911 call from this residence, Ma'am." "No Sir, not from here!" The officer confirms with dispatch that indeed, a 911 call came from our number.
Then the light dawns. I look at J, J looks at me and we grin. "I think it may have been our toddler, Officer! We are so sorry!". I go and grab our phone, the object of Imri's earlier attention and hit the redial button. Sure enough, the numbers 9111111111111 flash at me. I look at Imri, sitting in his daddy's arms and laugh.
We apologize profusely and the officers laugh it off and depart.
Now we just have to train Imri to do it when it's actually needed. And hope that the ETA of the cops gets better ... it took a good ten minutes or more for them to show up to a 911 call.

And yes, I am both fat and tired. But so wonderfully happy with my children beside me. My children! Yeah, 'happy' doesn't quite cut it.
4 comments:
I knew you'd love having another baby. I KNEW IT. See didn't I tell you it was AWESOME?!? Ah, such blessings.
Way to go, Imri. The toddler of a friend of mine called 911 also. The husband answered the door and the police still wanted to do a FULL INSPECTION of the house before they left. Which made good sense to me ... I mean, what if you were being held hostage??
When I saw your heading I was worried. I'm glad all is well in the land of Kinneret.
Poor Imri! He'll be hearing this story for the rest of his life! (Just ask my kids...heh heh.)
This is the stuff parenting is made of...
I too was worried when I read your heading! I always wonder if my daughter will accidentally call it, luckily it hasn't happened.
You look amazing Kinneret. You don't look tired and fat... you look like a happy MOTHER.
Post a Comment