I called my OB's office yesterday, wondering what in tarnation had happened to my lab results, whereupon the nurse told me they didn't have them back yet. Yours truly questioned this because 1)hell, it's a pre-eclampsia workup and 2)isn't anyone in that office keeping track of my status?
Yeah, I was kind of annoyed. Even if it comes out to be nothing - what would a woman who didn't have a clue about her health have done so far? Seriously, I wasn't - and am not - impressed. At least I know what to ask and what to expect, up to a point.
Anyway, the nurse told me she'd call for the results. 90 minutes later I hadn't heard anything so I called back and she told me she was waiting for the doc to go over the results. I've been a nurse for a while - that told me there was indeed something to "go over".
My primary OB called me back, bless his heart. I love that man - he knows his stuff and when he talks to you, you feel like you're the only patient in the world. He's the reason I'm with that practice to begin with.
So here's the conversation.
OB: Hi Kinneret ... I'm looking at your results - tell me why we did these tests?
Me: Well, the doc I saw last Tuesday said that between my (relatively) elevated BP (128/80), the proteinurea (trace), the swelling and visual disturbances that it wouldn't be a bad idea.
OB: Hmm. I probably wouldn't have run these based on your history... but we have so here's the thing - did you do a 24 hour urine?
Me: Yes, yes I did. And the doc didn't have my chart last time because they couldn't find it.
OB: I have your entire chart here (sigh of relief from me). They didn't run a total protein on the urine which makes the results pointless. (Please note my growing silent incredulity over the phone)However, your platelets are low ... and one of your liver enzymes is slightly elevated. I want to repeat the bloodwork for your next visit and we'll try and get the lab to run the protein on the urine - if not, you'll have to do a 24 hour urine again, I'm sorry.
Me: It's no trouble (hahahahahaha!! I SO want to be toting around another cooler full of pee at work!!) but what exactly are my platelets and LFTS (liver function tests)?
OB: Let me see here ... your platelets or click here (for the more medically inclined)are 105 but you've been low before. Your ALT (liver enzyme) is 42 ...normal is 0-40. Nothing I'd get excited about normally but taking everything into consideration, it's worth a repeat.
At which point I asked him "so I'm sensing there's nothing to worry about here" and to which he answered carefully "well, let's repeat these tests and see what we get - right now we don't have enough information to determine anything".
So there you have it. I called the office this morning and the lab will indeed run the urine again ... and I will do the bloodwork once they send me the form. I'm hoping it's nothing, obviously and feeling pretty comfortable with my primary OB at the helm of this.
Hypochondria being what it is, I am trying very hard to stay positive, think good thoughts and not imagine phantom pain in my right upper quadrant. I'm actually feeling good for the most part, except for intermittent bouts of feeling crappy. If you do have any experience with this, either pre-e or HELLP, please share your thoughts with me? I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
11 comments:
I have no knowledge on pre-e or those other conditions, but I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and hoping for the best with this. Also, WTF is up with these doctors, etc. not doing what they're supposed to do? I can come kick them for you, if you like.
I don't have Pre-E experience, but I just wanted to say that they told me my liver enzymes were a bit "out of whack" very early on in this pregnancy. I was never offered an explanation (good old Bethesda Navy Hospital). Since I have moved to another practice here in Alabama, they have never since mentioned it.
I'm sorry your lab adventures have been so frustrating. I'd be ready to strangle them. And, WTF with the 24 hr? That would piss me off, no doubt.
I can only hope that their attentiveness and care will improve...hang in there.
What jen said. Thinking of you.
Hehe, and they say Dr's make the worst patients. Sometimes having too much knowledge can make it worse even if it is in your mind not your body. Don't worry so much aboutt he milk before it spills, wait for it to tip over first.
I'm no nurse, but in my last two deliveries I had to be the one to ask, long or short stick and they were unaware they had to check my sugar, thank goodness I had my thngy with me and did it myself in between contractions and tracked it for the Dr when she arrived. She was not pleased btw. Not with me, with them. It happens everywhere. Make your concerns known in a clear way without emotion and if all else fails, call in a second Dr. Mistakes, disorder and not living up to our expectations happens everywhere. Hang in there babe!
love you,
maggie~
Being slightly abnormal can be really miserable - I live in a family that has really different blood counts, low blood pressures, etc., etc. Everytime a new medical person takes a sample, there is an uncalled for concern and the "results have to be reviewed and checked". Very frustrating for us, just as your slightly abnormal readings may only be of passing interest. Nevertheless, it is most appropriate for your OB to be thorough and do the necessary testing to be sure. Sorry it is so frustratingly slow. Hang in there - not too many more weeks to go!
I have no idea about pre-e but I will be keeping my fingers crossed that you do not have it. Hang in there!
No experience or advice to offer.. just my thoughts and wishes that it's nothing and that all is well.
Hang in there gal; you're almost there!
*Hugs*
-D.
I've got no info on pre-e. I wish you the best of luck in the next round of testing.
Oh Kinneret -
I am unfortunately all too familiar with your situation.
Yes, what you describe could be pre-e or HELLP or a bit of both, but you can have a MILD case of it without incident. It bears watching though, and give your OB a big giant hug the next time you see him because if you are indeed showing signs of trouble (your platelets ARE a little low - I'm a hem patient, I sorta know this stuff), catching it early and monitoring it and bedrest and even some dietary adjustments (like you need any more of those) can help stave off any complications. It's our age that brings this shit on ;-(. I'm so so sorry. But for whatever it's worth, (if this sounds like assvice, especially considering I'm talking to a nurse, I'm SO sorry), insist on being checked as much as possible so you don't wake up one morning "surprised" and in an urgent situation. I think I did about 6 or 7 24-hour tests and can't even count the blood tests or ultrasounds, but I'm a pre-e/HELLP success story, and as long as this stuff is caught early-on, everyone comes out okay. I don't mean to sound alarming or get you worked up, but if you're showing slight signs, at this stage better safe than sorry. I hope it turns out to be nothing. I know your anxiety though and if you want to talk, send me an e-mail.
Thank you all for your comments and support - honestly, I think I'd fall apart without the Internets some days.
Day - I'll be emailing you tonight - you said exactly what I was thinking and you have the experience to boot. Thank you!! I'm leaving for work now, so I'll write later.
I had pre-e, was seeing the floaters; blood pressure extremely high (had to be hospitalized for it); protein in my urine. Was put on bedrest the last two months of my pregnancy - but was able to deliver a healthy little boy (Lucas).(Had to be induced from the pre-e - but we made it to Week 38)He weighed 9 pounds and was 21 inches long at delivery. I was 16...can anyone say..Owie? :)
Anyways, as long as they keep an eye on it, if it turns out that you do have it, I have condifence that you'll be just fine! :) You're so close right...I haven't posted for awhile..but I'm so excited for you!! :)
Post a Comment