Saturday, July 30, 2005

A short visit to L&D ...

It's quite odd. I get 40-50 hits a day on this blog ... but only a couple of you leave comments. Please leave comments, even just to say "hi". If not, I'll eventually have to track you down and bang on your door.

So, a touch of excitement in the Chaos household Thursday. John's birthday and I ended up in L&D by myself ... so much for dinner at the Macaroni Grill.

I went for a breast exam because of the blood in my colostrum. The doctor, an older man, was very sweet and exclaimed "5 pregnancies! And no children. hmmm. Don't give up, dear. We had 5 miscarriages but my 3 kids are having their own kids now ...." Made me smile and maybe a touch watery in the eyes.

The exam went well and everything seemed to be normal although he wants ultrasounds done to both breasts. I thanked him and hurried back to work.

Around 2 o'clock, I started getting contractions. Braxton-Hicks contractions, but still. They were unrelenting and uncomfortable, to the point where I was getting short of breath and unable to walk very far without huffing and puffing. I started to get very scared and even the other RNs I work with were getting a bit concerned.

After 2 hours of this, I called the OB and she was concerned because of the discomfort and sob ... told me to go to L&D. I was at work, so I went to the hospital across the street. I called John and told him - I don't think he grasped exactly what was going on. He did, to his credit, call me back later and ask if I wanted him to be there, but I saw no point to it at that stage.

L&D was full! I had to wait in the waiting room with 3 other pg ladies, all having symptoms of pre-term labour. Not fun. One of the girls from work came and sat with me for a while, which was nice. But the thought of an L&D floor being full is quite scary. The hospital closer to home may be a very good choice, in the long run. It's probably less busy than this one is.

Sometimes being a nurse has its perks - they took me in before some of the other women (although there may have been good reason why, I don't know). I did get admitted and monitored after waiting for over an hour ... and the baby is fine.

If nothing else, it was wonderful to just lie there for hours and listen to his heart beating - if nothing else, that was worth the time spent. He is an active little one, my son is.
I was still having a few contractions but by the time they got me on the monitors, they had mostly subsided. 3 hours of contractions was enough for my body, it seems.

The nurses were great and the OB was super nice ... I apologized to him for taking up a bed at a very busy time and he said "I've read your chart ...you've worked very hard to get to this point. I appreciate paranoia like yours - you did the right thing by coming in"
I started to cry, of course, It's always good to hear recognition of the struggles you've been through, especially from a busy doctor.

Anyway ...all is well. I'm officially on light duty for a while which should help and no more breast exams, necessary or not. No one is completely sure what precipitated this and I'm not rushing to find out. My fluid intake had been a tad lower than usual that day, so that may have been a contributing factor - I also think that pushing heavy stretchers doesn't help much. They want to see me in the office this week as well as next. Oy.

I am officially taking it easy this weekend. John went off golfing and I have several pounds of tomatoes to make into sauce ... or something. Other than that? Feet up on the couch and lots of popsicles. At least it's cooler this weekend. Small miracles.

6 comments:

Liz Miller said...

All my best wishes to you. Take good care of yourself and keep listening to your instincts.

Dramalish said...

Hello doll,
I'm just sayin' "hi." I read every post, and for my obsessive tastes, they don't come frequently enough!!
I'm glad the little one is doing well. It's so weird to think that just a few short months ago we were talking about "natural cycling" together...
So much happens in life, yes?
Monday is so close now, I can feel it. Thanks for crossing everything; let your husband know that I need every single one. And he can have you back, knotless in about 38 hours.
-D

Anonymous said...

Just saying hello.

I've followed your story from the beginning and am happy to see how well you're progressing.

Take care and relax if you can.

Ana said...

Oh boy, I'm glad it was nothing serious. Take acre of yourself and that baby!

Anonymous said...

I think everyone makes at least one trip to L&D during pg'cy. I did. Better safe than sorry. Bravo for light duty and feet up!

Love
Lisa

Pr. Joy Blaylock said...

Glad to hear it was nothing serious and that you are back home. Take it easy!