Sunday, September 10, 2006

Curiouser and curiouser ...

Why do they call it a green card?? It's not. Yes, that's my way of telling you nice folks that .. it's here!! I am a legal permanent resident of the USA. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, boys and girls. I tell you, strange things are afoot at the Circle K.




One of the strangest things I've ever encountered in my life - and I've been around several blocks multiple times - is looking into my son's face and seeing my own features reflected back at me. Particularly the eyes ...

When we found out we were having a son, we had the inevitable question of "oh, didn't you want a girl??" and the other strange and perplexing questions that people ask you when you're pregnant. One of my stock answers, other than "I just want a healthy baby" became "I want a little boy with his daddy's eyes.". Because in truth, John has gorgeous eyes. Deep-set and ocean-blue, they are witness to the flame that burns inside him and give echo to his inner - as well as more superficial - beauty.

When Imri was born, it appeared that indeed, I had been given a boy with his daddy's eyes and I delighted in that. Imri seemed to be John in miniature with nary a shade of his mother in him. But now that he is growing older and becoming his own self, I see that his eyes are becoming reflections of mine, the whole upper structure of his face is taking on a masculine hue of his mother.

It is startling and humbling and wonderful and eerie and if it was possible to love him even more for it, I do. Rightly or wrongly, I do. I hold him high above me and gaze into that curiously familiar face - and we both smile big. And more than likely, we laugh.


4 comments:

Bugsy said...

Congrats on the residency thing.

One of the things i love about your posts is seeing the photo of Imri at the end. he is so handsome. I cannot imagine the wonder and awe of watching someone who is a part of you both change as he grows. gosh I hope i get to experience that.

p.s Hope the weekend went okay.

Timi said...

Yay! Congratulations!

I'm sure that's one load off of your shoulders.

Cam said...

Kinneret,
He definitely looks like you!
Too adorable!
And congrats on the not-green card.

Sabrina said...

Congrats on your residency!!! Yeah I'd say that's not green at all! He looks so cute! Growing into quite the little man now!