Thursday, June 02, 2005

Another stressor gone and more garden p0rn


My court case has finally gone a step further and it's a good one. You see, about 3 years ago I was in a car accident. I was sitting in my car at a red light, minding my own business when someone hit the car behind me who then whacked me. They didn't even hit me that hard but it was enough to screw up my neck and back.
I was coming back from a company picnic for the Big Hospital at the time - I was actually showing one of the other nurses the way out of B-more to route 95.

The next day I could barely move. I called my doc and got seen immediately, xrays, the whole shmear - and started physiotherapy, which lasted 2-3 months. I stopped because I was feeling better. A couple of weeks later, I woke up and couldn't move again. When I tried to resume seeing the physiotherapist, I was told I had used up my PIP - which basically means any monies for my care that would be directed my way via the insurance company. I was outraged. After all, I was truly the innocent party here. So I called a lawyer.

The damage to my car had been minimal which made some lawyers balk at taking my case but one did - and he tied it into the company picnic and claimed it against Worker's Comp - and we won. I got my lost wages (a couple of days worth) and my medical bills covered. Today we went to court to establish "permanency" or basically see what degree of disability I'll be carrying around for life. Charming, huh?

Our doctor had said 20% disability upon examining me. Their doctor had said 0%. Just as I was about to go testify, the Big Hospital's lawyer came up and offered us 10% disability. We took it. It saved me from testifying (which I was prepared to do, I did well last time and other than nerves, felt comfortable) which is better for when my lawyer goes after the third party, ie, the one that started it all.

He needs to get paid, after all.

I agreed to the 10% because this was never about me getting money. All I really wanted was treatment and to have my expenses for treatment covered. But the stupid way the system works here made it necessary to involve lawyers and increase the costs for everyone.

Now it looks like everyone is going to get money except for me, likely. I may get a couple of grand from Worker's Comp, which is fine and would come in extremely handy and I am extremely grateful. But the money we win from insurance - I'll probably never see much of that. It'll mostly go to lawyers.

Anyway, I came back from court quite tired. The exterminators are here ... AGAIN ... because of damned carpenter ants. Only this time they found termites, too. *sigh*. Lovely. It's in a very limited area, but still.

I lay down for a nap ... I was just drifting off ...the buzzsaw started from across the street where they're putting up siding. I toss. I turn. It stops. I start to fall asleep. The phone rings. I try to ignore it. Start to drift off again. The saw starts. I groan and try to ignore the numbness in my hands and lie on my left like a good girl. The saw stops. I start to fall asleep. The phone rings... and here I am. Tired. Since I've been up, neither has the phone rang nor has the saw started up again...but I know if I even try and close my eyes ... so here I am.

Oh ... and I saw my first tomato!! I am so excited. Yeah, I'm strange that way. And guess what - just now as I went to take pictures of said tomato for you, my readers ... I saw another one! Now you shall be bombarded with garden pics. Because I just realized that in an 8x11 space I have the following: 17(!!) tomato plants, 3 cucs, 3 squash, a bunch of watermelon (which I will thin directly) 4 onion plants, numerous carrots and a bunch of lettuce. Did I mention the eggplant?

Oops. Someone was a tad over-reaching.




The wilderness that is my garden. I am very afraid.




First tomato. I am so proud!




Second tomato! I think it has tomato envy - look, it's hiding.
Middle children can be like that.


carrots and an onion, 2 bits.

Far too many carrots. Notice them cavorting with an escaped onion. The hussies.


Watermelons...

I have barely enough room there for ONE watermelon plant. But thinning them is killing me. I heart watermelon. *sigh*.


squash and cucs.

They are taking over in an insidious kind of way. I have to trellis them. Or something.


Peppers!

What more need be said?


lettuce

Far too many in too small a space. Ack.


onions

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with them or when they're ready other than "when the green shoots are droopy". No clue.


An extremely cute man

Note the very cute tuchas. Yum.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahe you're too cute...love the garden pics...and maybe another pic on there ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh my that is QUITE the cute tuchas!!!
And your garden is impressive- and I love it that you've got a tomato and a pepper already- makes it feel like it's really summer!
Sorry to hear about your car accident fiasco - and the sad waste of energy and resources that the insurance beauocracy creates. I've got my own post a-brewing about the state of insurance affairs up here in MA.
Wishing you a good, long, well-deserved undisturbed nap.

Anonymous said...

The veggies are lovely, but could we have a few more pics of him? Am willing to reciprocate... *g*

Imo xxx