Monday, February 21, 2005

Under the letter B for "beta"

On the way to work this morning, I called Dr Baby's office and left a message requesting a beta test. They didn't get back to me and I figured since I work right beside them, I'd pop in. That was fine, said the girl behind the counter. There was NO ONE in the waiting room! I have never been to the RE's when the waiting room was absolutely empty. It was eerie. And the magazine selection still sucked.

Fortunately, it didn't take long and I was called back to the inner sanctum, where my favourite vampire waited. She really is excellent, I'm damn lucky. I didn't feel a thing. And the wait began.

I warned the doctor I was working with (I'm a Registered Nurse) that I was expecting a phone call and had my cell on. It wasn't even 11 am before it rang and my RN said "you're crazy, you know? I'm starting to think that since your surgery, maybe you don't need us!!. Your beta is 264!!! Great number!". I nearly fell over. 264??? During my last pregnancy, my first beta was 83! Now I realize that it's not the number itself that's important, rather the doubling thereof, so I'm on tenterhooks until Wednesday. Actually, I'll be on tenterhooks probably for the next 9 months - if I'm lucky.

So now, second beta on Wednesday and ultrasound next week, most likely. RE is out of town till the end of the week. Which brings me to the next issue on the table ...

You see, I mentioned previously that I have a thyroid nodule. I had a scan done back in June and never quite got farther with that - I finally went to a specialist last week. I do have a history of Hashimoto's thyroiditis and have been on medication for it, so this wasn't completely unexpected. But the specialist didn't like what she felt and is sending me for biopsy. I just want to wait and find out from RE if it's wise to wait till second trimester, assuming I ever get there. During a thyroid biopsy, hormone can be released, and I don't want to jeopardize anything.I've already googled the snot out of "thyroid biopsy in early pregnancy" and not found a lot that says "no". Damn. I'm really hoping to get out of that biopsy. Denial is not just a river in Egypt, my friends.

Anyway, John and I continue to rejoice tentatively now that the beta is in and that we're still pregnant today. One day at a time. Now if only I was slightly less tired. Not that I'm complaining, nooooOOoooo! Not me. But oh my GOD, am I tired. Yes, I'm smiling as I type this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your new drama group, babe. ;-)

Crossing all available fingers and thumbs for you. Hugs, darling.

orchidea xxx

Ana said...

Kinneret,

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I know how scared we will both be until we see good strong heartbeats but I'm hoping this will be it for the both of us!