Sunday, February 12, 2006

Got sleep?

This excellent post by way of the Leery Polyp says almost exactly what I was trying to get at - albeit lamely - in an entry some time ago. And I can't find it, so there. I'm gonna blame this cold. And lucky for you, because of this cold, I'm not going to pontificate about the issues she raises in her blog, but instead say: "get thee to the Leery Polyp and read, for it is good."

My poor son has my cold but it seems to be mostly upper respiratory with him - lots of snot and some coughing. No fever and he's in a pretty decent mood, overall. I wish the same could be said about his mother. But Imri has been sleeping well and other than really disliking me wiping his nose, is doing pretty well. It's hard being a baby when your mean mommy keeps wiping your sore, red nose. I sent John out for some V|cks and a cool mist humidifier yesterday - I used the later and not the former, but it definitely helped. I'm still not getting much sleep though. Hopefully this will pass quickly for him - I hate seeing him sick. Especially with boogers on his chin.





Now I am not sure about the whys and wherefores of this, and I'll tell you right now, my husband is a great guy, but what part of "wow, I would kill for 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep" doesn't John understand? It seems to me, and pardon the enormous generalization, that men are much more concrete than women. So instead of hinting,ie,: "gosh, I am so tired" or "gosh, I am so sick" or other like comments, I actually came out and said the statement above and waited. And hoped. And waited and hoped a little longer that my beloved spouse would turn to his sick wife this weekend and say "hey honey, let me take the baby for a few hours so you can rest".

Ummmm nope.

Or my comment to my dear husband "hey, you had a good nap this afternoon" and his ensuing cheery response of how great it was (which brought him close to death, but I digress) and my comment on how it would be nice if I could do that and the nodding of his head that followed ... but no action taken.

Or for example, the conversation that *just* happened after I typed the previous paragraph:
John: what happened to your voice?
me: I'm sick.
John: But it was better earlier. People get sick and then they get better, not get sick, get better and get sick.
me: (!!!!) I have no control over my laryngitis.
John: silence.
me: Maybe I need some uninterrupted sleep.
John: Art Shell is the new head coach of the Raiders!

I'm wish I was kidding.

I suppose I should say "I'm going to sleep for a few hours, please take care of the baby" - not to say that I haven't said that before and been met with "but I was going to do X to the house". Should I mention the brand new golf clubs and golf bag? And should I mention that he still hasn't given me a gift for my long-since-past 40th birthday?

Ah, I don't mean this to be "all resentment, all the time". Just venting. And sick. And since I seem to have no voice again, this is my only outlet. He's a good man, just lacking in priorities. Although he did shovel the walk already this morning ...

















At least someone is sleeping ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have that same sleeper!

And sometimes, even when you tell them, they still don't let you sleep.

Anonymous said...

that was from me - beaver girl

Anonymous said...

yeah, you need to be very specific about what you want DH to do and when. Then be firm and non-caring when he tells you he planned something else. They don't take hints and they don't care-take like we do. sigh...

That sucks about your bd gift. grrr...the cluelessness of them. You've every right to complain.

Feel better soon. Congrats on Imri's sleeping.

Love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

My DH went to Whistler with 2 of my brothers for my birthday and left me with 2 sick kids and now I have this stinking cold. Yet when he's sick he needs his rest time. I did tell him to go to Whistler seeing as his birthday was last week, but it sounds way better if I tell it the other way.LOL